I’m a Full Professor of Interaction Design at Aarhus University. I explore the use and design of digital systems from a humanistic perspective. My research focuses on design processes, participatory design, creativity, innovation, and tools that help people think and create in new ways.
Current projects and activities
- Principal investigator of Digital Tools in Collaborative Creativity (CoCreate), funded by the Velux Foundations.
- Principal investigator of PLACED (Place- and Activity-Centric Digital Library Services), funded by JPI Urban Europe.
- Principal investigator of Creative Tools, funded by the Aarhus University Research Foundation.
- Member of the core research team in the project Experimenting, Experiencing, Reflecting, funded by the Carlsberg Foundation.
- Founder and Co-director of the Centre for Digital Creativity at Aarhus University.
- Member and head of the Research Policy Committee at The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters’ Young Academy .
News and updates
- [April 15]: Article accepted for DIS 2020: Remy, C., Macdonald Vermeulen, L., Frich, J., Biskjaer, M. M. & Dalsgaard, P. 2020. “Evaluating Creativity Support Tools in HCI Research”.
- [April 15]: Article accepted for DIS 2020: Yoo, D., Dalsgaard, P., Ducros, A., Tabard, A., Eriksson, E., Klokmose, C. N. 2020. “Putting Down Roots: Exploring the Placeness of Virtual Collections in Public Libraries“.
- [April 2]: New piece out in ACM Interactions: Dalsgaard, P. 2020. “Human-Computer Interaction and Interaction Design versus COVID-19“. ACM Interactions. ACM.
- [Feb 20] Pre-print of our TOCHI article “How Interaction Designers Use Tools to Manage Ideas” now available [Download PDF].
- [Dec 20] New article in International Journal of Design: Biskjaer, M., Dalsgaard, P. & Halskov, K. (2019). “The Same, but Better: Understanding the Practice of Designing for Incremental Innovation in Web Design“. [Download PDF]
For prospective students
I am currently accepting new Masters and PhD students, particularly in the topics of digital tools in creativity and innovation, participatory design, design processes, and the combination of digital and physical components in Human-Computer Interaction. Please email me at dalsgaard[at]cavi.au.dk, sending a CV and a project outline, if you’re interested in supervision or mentoring, possibly in connection to one of our current projects.